Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Setting up HDRI based lighting in Mental Ray

Hi all,
 In this tutorial we are going to look at how we can use  Final gather & HDR maps to create image based lighting scene.

Step1 :

This is the scene that i am going to work with, It's simple setup teapots with some architectural maps.
Ok lets' start first we need to create sphere to work as our environment , go top view  , go to primitive section create a sphere. make sure that it'l cover our scene fully.



Step 2:
Ok , lets apply texture to our sphere. to do that go to material editor ( press m) , select available slot and change it diffuse color and ambient color to black.


Step 3 :

Click on global illumination field, put the check mark and put a bitmap into self illumination field. Apply a HDR map as your bitmap , when importing the HDR map, put the check box in 32 color data field as shown below.




Step 4:

And assign that texture to our sphere.

Step 5:

To add more details to our scene, goto render settings ( press F10), and under Indirect Illumination enable Final gather. ( make sure that you have change your render as the mental ray) . make a test render ( press F9 ) , you can see much more realistic scene.


Step 6:

but we have lot of lights , to override this effect add Standard omni light in scene. make it intensity to lower value ( 0.2 ) .


Step 7 :
 To make more realistic . goto our final gather settings and we need to adjust some parameters to yield a high quality scene.


Step 8:

After some tweaks i get a following render output. Also further we can add some exposure control to our scene.

Step 9 :

To add exposure control goto rendering menu----> exposure control. choose mr Photographic Exposure control


Step 10 :

make some tweaks to parameters as shown in below.


here some example by using several HDR Images.













5 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I am sure you already got my emails, but I am just persistent.
    am sure the traffic is never enough. I can send you really nice amount of traffic, every day, constantly. You can get quality targeted visitors and your blog posts will be showen on every site which use CGdump widget and you will get more exposure. Its like your posts instantly shown on 30 and more sites.

    Also, maybe you think CGdump is new site, that don't have traffic, but it's not like that. I have my own network sites related to CG, design and I have traffic overhead.

    Just give me a chance and you will not regret. At least, you don't have anything to lose. Right ?

    Best,
    Stefan
    www.cgdump.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hey Stefan
      I'm a blog tutorial writer.If you have time check my blog www.4dtutors.blogspot.com

      Akila
      www.4dtutors.blogspot.com
      akilauyanwatta@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time a comment is added I
    get three emails with the same comment. Is there any way you
    can remove me from that service? Thanks!

    Here is my web-site :: how to lose weight fast

    ReplyDelete